The Chicago Headline Club is the nation’s largest chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, as well as an independent nonprofit dedicated to supporting journalists and promoting the values of a free press across the region.
Founded in 1921, the Club champions freedom of information issues, offers professional training and support and hosts the annual Lisagor Awards banquet. Our members are from all levels and walks of the profession, from top editors to newbies, from print to broadcast to online.
The Headline Club also supports SPJ’s mission to protect a free press and promote a well informed citizenry, and SPJ’s goals including:
- To promote this flow of information.
- To maintain constant vigilance in protection of the First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and of the press.
- To stimulate high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism.
- To foster excellence among journalists.
- To inspire successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
- To encourage diversity in journalism.
- To be the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists.
- To encourage a climate in which journalism can be practiced freely.