Nominations for the 46th Annual Peter Lisagor Awards, which recognize Chicago’s best journalism from across the media spectrum, are open from Jan. 1 to Jan. 31. There will be an additional $10 late fee for entries submitted Feb. 1-Feb. 14. There will be no entries accepted after Feb. 14.
How To Enter
- Visit the Better Newspaper Contest platform.
- Scroll through the list of available contests and select this option: “2022 Chicago Headline Club: The 46th Annual Peter Lisagor Awards.”
- When prompted, select “Open call login.”
*** If you entered previous Lisagor contests, your email and password should be the same.
*** If this is your first time entering the Lisagor Awards, click on “Create your Open Call account” and follow the prompts.
2022 Lisagor Award Categories
You’ll be asked to select your publication type when you enter. Small Print/ Online refers to print or online newsrooms with less than 50 full-time staff. Large Print/Online refers to newsrooms with 50 or more full-time staff or local bureaus of large national or international news organizations.
Best All Media
* Best Investigative Reporting
* Best Feature or Human Interest Single Story
* Best Feature or Human Interest Series
* Best Multimedia Collaboration
* Best Data Journalism
* Best Public Service or Engagement
Design & Visuals
* Best News Photo
* Best Feature Photo
* Best Sports Photo
* Best Illustration or Graphics
* Best Design in a Print Publication
* Best Digital Design
* Best Use of News Video
* Best Use of Feature Video
* Best Use of Data Visualization
* Best Multimedia Feature Presentation
* Best Social or Short-Form Video
* Best Use of Social Media
Commentary & Presentation
* Best Column or Editorial From a Small Print/Online Publication
* Best Column or Editorial From a Large Print/Online Publication
* Best Sports Commentary
* Best Featured Reporter or Host
* Best Interview (Audio or Video)
* Best Blog
* Best Podcast
* Best Email Newsletter
* Best Food or Restaurant Coverage
* Best Music Coverage
* Best Theater or Literary Coverage
* Best Headline From a Small Print/Online Publication
* Best Headline From a Large Print/Online Publication
Best Coverage by Subject (Separate winners in Small Print/Online, Large Print/Online, Audio, Visual)
* Best Feature Reporting Single Story/Episode
* Best Feature Reporting Series
* Best Investigative Reporting
* Best Reporting on Crime and Justice
* Best Education Reporting
* Best Business Reporting
* Best Reporting on Race and Diversity
* Best Science and Technology Reporting
* Best Political and Government Reporting
* Best Arts and Entertainment Reporting
* Best Sports Reporting
* Best Deadline Reporting
* Best Community Reporting
* Best Reporting on Climate Change
Entries must have aired or been published in the 2022 calendar year and be the original work of journalists in Illinois or northwest Indiana.
All nominations must meet standards set forth in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Code of Ethics. Entities that are principally advocacy organizations are not eligible. Entries should include all related corrections, clarifications or retractions.
Entries are judged by an impartial SPJ chapter outside Illinois. Winners will be announced at an awards dinner on Friday, May 12, 2023.
Chicago Headline Club membership requires both $75 dues for the national Society of Professional Journalists and $20 for Headline Club for a total of $95—with discounts available for students, retirees and multiple members in the same household.