CHC Board Minutes: March 2, 2018

Board of Directors meeting
Fri. March 2, 2018

President Ben Meyerson called the meeting to order with a quorum.

Also present: Flynn McRoberts, Stan Zoller, Dann Gire, Brandis Friedman, Susan S. Stevens, and by phone Suzanne McBride, Howard Dubin, Kristen Schorsch, Rob Elder, Evan Moore and Richelle Rogers.

President’s report: Ben said FOIAFest was really good, one of lots of high-profile events on our packed schedule. He questioned whether we should have a Lisagor finalist roll-out party. Board said “yes.” He will talk with Program VP Alejandra Cancino upon her return home.

FOIAFest: Stan said the committee was awesome, especially Kristen who loves to tweet and responds to emails quickly and Loyola hosts Richelle Rogers and Michael Limon who were fabulous. No appreciable glitches. Attendees loved it. More than ever came from outside Chicagoland. All sessions were well-attended. Richelle said Loyola student feedback was really good.
Ben will release the attorney general panel video shot by Loyola soon. Richelle said she’ll have a rough cut of the rest of the video by the end of the week of March 12.
Lisagor: Ben said entries are in the judges’ hands, with a March 15 deadline. Lisagor maven Kathy Catrambone is in touch with plaquemaker R.S. Owens and working on other things including the program book. Brandis and maybe Dann will announce the awards. Susan will contact Pam Zekman about a Lifetime Achievement video showcasing the Mirage team.

Watchdog: Jason Martin reported by email:
Award: Judges are reviewing the 9 entries with a goal of completing their rankings by March 11 to make the March 12 plaque deadline. We’ll have 3 finalists identified to reveal along with the Lisagor finalists in April. Driehaus folks are on board and excited to attend the dinner and help present the award again.
Fund: No further applications so far. After we clear the award judging deadline, I’ll resume promotion of the opportunity via social media and email.

Scholarships: Dann said two applications are in hand, with three additional inquiries.

Membership: Brandis said she will be sending membership information to non-members who attended FOIAFest.

NICAR: Ben said we gave our free registration to FOIAFest attendee Dave Glowacki who was really excited.

Regional Conference: Keynoter Nicole Hannah-Jones dropped out, and a new speaker is being sought. (As of Friday afternoon, the new SPJ executive director, Alison Bethel McKenzie, was being asked; SPJ President Rebecca Baker plans to attend.) Susan made a motion for CHC to give Regional $2,500 to help sponsor the conference. Motion was approved.

Meeting adjourned at 10 a.m.
Next meeting: Fri. April 6.

Respectfully submitted,
Susan S. Stevens, secretary