CHC Board Minutes: December 7, 2018

Board of Directors meeting
Fri. Dec. 7, 2018
President Alejandra Cancino called the meeting to order at 9 a.m. Also present: Ben Meyerson, Rob Elder, Greg Karp, Flynn McRoberts, Stan Zoller, Matt Kiefer Dawn Rhodes, Jason Martin, Maya Dukmasova, Maria Zamudio, Susan S. Stevens, and by phone Suzanne McBride, Howard Dubin, Alex Hernandez, Kristen Schorsch, Mike Ewing and Brandis Friedman.

Minutes from the November meeting were approved as submitted by Susan.

Alejandra led the board in working on a statement we want to release with the Los Angeles chapter objecting to SPJ accepting money from Koch or similar groups. LA does not want it to be political; we are alright with that. LA objects to the use of the word “lie;” we will accept “untruthful.” LA wants it shortened; we are OK with that. Alejandra said “We have lost” our case with SPJ National but can continue to raise awareness. Board moved to approve a motion regarding the statement with LA. Alejandra will email us this weekend with final revisions, intending to release it Monday. She plans a letter-writing and further PR campaign.

Treasurer’s report: Greg said we have $5,000 in checking and $70,000 in savings. A BetterBNC payment of $3,800 for the Lisagor contest was the only major expenditure in the past month.
We have a new Paypal account. He will identify and close previous ones. Board agreed.

See full report

Membership: Rob asked us to phone lapsing members. He will send us lists.
T-shirts: board approved one that says “Journalists Do It On The Record.” He needs a design, wants to have the shirts in time for FOIAfest in February. Board approved spending up to $500.

Programs: Maya said 17 people attended her November screening of “A Private War.” That was with two days’ advance notice.
December: holiday mixer 6 p.m. Thurs. Dec. 20 at Eden, 1748 W. Lake St. Board approved spending up to $200 to pay for the first 10 or so drinks.
January: Climate change program with former CHC President Cynthia Linton and several current environmental reporters. Maybe at DePaul.
February: FOIAfest
March or April: digital security for journalists.

FOIA: Kristen said Boston Globe “Spotlight” reporter Todd Wallack will be the keynote speaker. Planning of other sessions is advancing. Howard’s Dubin Foundation has offered to fund the event.(We applauded.) She’s sending a Doodle to schedule the next committee meeting.

Lisagor: Ben said the Paypal issue has slowed opening the contest, but that will be done soon. He’s waiting for changes to be made to the final entry version.
Lifetime Achievement: Let Ben or Flynn know your ideas.

Watchdog: Jason is sending out promotions. Deadline for the award is same as Lisagor. He said everything will be done same as last year, which had high-quality and competitive entries.

Website: Mike said he and Mike are working toward updating the FOIA contacts.

Foundation: Stan said what we see on Facebook is NOT us, rather a former board member. He is trying to close it down. Dann Gire, former board member, will handle the Brownlee Scholarship again.
Meeting adjourned at 10:45 a.m. Next meeting: Jan. 4, 2019.

Respectfully submitted,
Susan S. Stevens, secretary