CHC Board Meeting: August 21, 2021


Board of Directors meeting

Sat. Aug. 21, 2021

President Amanda Vinicky called the meeting to order at 2 p.m. Also present: Madhu Krishnamurthy, Mike Ewing, Adam Rhodes, Raza Siddiqui, Cathy Larkin, Tahman Bradley, Molly McDonough, Greg Karp, Robert Elder, Taylor Moore, Alejandra Cancino, Susan S. Stevens, and by Zoom: Howard Dubin, Suzanne McBride, and Olivia Obineme.

Amanda welcomed the new board members. We all introduced ourselves and gave a little background.

Outgoing SPJ President Matt Hall joined via Zoom to talk about resolutions that will be presented at the national conference. We have no quarrel with proposals for officer successions and SPJ fellows. However, we are concerned about the proposal to give members of SPJ communities an OK to become conference delegates via communities rather than chapters. Hall said chapters “as a whole would retain the bulk of delegates.” Community members are not required to pay the equivalent of local dues.

Alejandra suggested dropping the delegate system. Susan agreed.

In a discussion after Hall signed off, Alejandra said we should vote against the bylaws changes. She proposed a task force for a year to study the issue, which only recently came to light. Amanda and Rob said several other chapters oppose the change. This could lead to a motion at the national conference to table the issue.

We approved a motion to create a working group to study the future of CHC and its relationship with SPJ. Mike Ewing will chair.

Amanda urged that we set dates as soon as possible for Lisagor and FOIAFest. Cathy will chair Lisagor, with help from former chair Flynn McRoberts.

Madhu encouraged a hybrid FOIAFest and continuance of the companion mentorship program. She also said attendees should have to be vaccinated. As we pull out of the pandemic, Madhu said we should plan a big celebration next year for our 100th anniversary, which is this year.

We will do another survey of members’ desires, and may also survey non-members.

We discussed new t-shirts, designs, logos.

Rob will organize an author program, possibly in October, including the writer of a memoir who offered us a share of his profits.

Next meeting: 9 a.m. Fri. Sept. 1 – via Zoom..

Adjournment at 4 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Susan S. Stevens, secretary